Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category
The chairman and CEO of Mattel, Inc., Robert A. Eckert, speaks at the University of Arizona about his crisis communication with toy recalls in this recorded lecture. I think it gives an interesting view on how companies handle crises.
First of all, skip to 5:12 (unless you want to hear the dean speak and then hear about the speaker’s summer vacation).
Lead paint and powerful magnets are two things that have caused dangerous problems to children in the toy industry.
If you don’t want to watch the entire lecture, below are the subjects and times. If anything, at least watch 29:00 to 33:25 about the lessons Mattel learned about the recall crisis.
- About the failure of a routine lead paint test and what they did (12:50)
– Recalled 83 toys
– Followed by another recall two weeks later
- Recalled magnet toys that did not meet standards (15:20)
– Newspaper ads, letter from Eckert to reach publics and video from Eckert
-The media coverage about the 9 million toy recall (18:40-25:15)
- Regulators and Legislators (25:16)
– Public hearing conclusion by Senator Durbin (27:05)
- Scope of the situation (28:25)
- Lessons learned (29:00-33:25)
- Results (33:26)
- Q&A (35:10)
<a href=”http://technorati.com/claim/7d9th62xfj” rel=”me”>Technorati Profile</a>